- Co-Director of the Center for Policy Analysis on Trade and Health (CPATH)
- Pro to the question "Should Abortion Be Legal?"
“Access to safe abortion is a key factor in preventing deaths and disability among women due to pregnancy-related causes. Each year, an estimated 22 million women and girls have an unsafe abortion, almost all in the developing world. As a result, 47,000 lose their lives and millions more suffer serious injury. The economic and social costs of unsafe, delayed, or illegal abortions include maternal mortality, long-term complications from damage to reproductive organs, pelvic inflammatory disease, and secondary infertility, as well as potential harm to a woman’s existing children.
Countries’ health systems incur huge costs in managing these preventable injuries, and their economies suffer from diminished economic participation.”
“Bernie, Tom, Time for The Talk. About Abortion…”, huffingtonpost.com, Apr. 25, 2017
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, PhDs, ThDs, JDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to abortion. Also top-level federal government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to abortion.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Co-Director, Center for Policy Analysis on Trade and Health (CPATH), Nov. 2002-present
- Contributor, Huffington Post
- Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Clinical Pharmacy, University of California at San Francisco
- Member, Executive Board, American Public Health Association, 2004-2008
- Project Director, University of California at San Francisco Medical Center, Jan. 1999-Aug. 2001
- Senior Health Policy Advisor to Senator Paul Wellstone, 1992-1995
- PhD, School of Hygiene and Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, 2001
- MPH, University of California at Berkeley, 1986
- Degree unknown, Brandeis University, 1969
- Contact Info:
- None found
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should Abortion Be Legal?