- 43rd President of the United States
- Con to the question "Should Abortion Be Legal?"
“I am pleased to address the National Right to Life’s annual convention… I thank all the men and women in attendance for your commitment to protecting the unborn.
Our nation’s declaration of independence promises that all people have an unalienable right to life. It states, that this right comes from our creator. And that government exists to secure the rights of its citizens.
For the past eight years my administration has proudly stood with you to ensure that our nation lives up to this noble promise. Working together, we promoted adoption, abstinence education and crisis pregnancy programs. We have fought to ensure that US tax dollars were not used to perform or promote abortions overseas. We have worked to secure legislation that allows prosecutors to charge those who harm or kill a pregnant woman, with harming or killing her unborn child as well.
We’ve extended legal protection to children who were born despite abortion attempts, and we’ve enacted a ban on the grisly practice of partial-birth abortion. We defended this good law all the way to the Supreme Court, and we prevailed. The majority that issued this landmark ruling included two outstanding justices that we worked tirelessly together to confirm; John Roberts and Sam Alito…
For eight years we have stood together to defend the principle that every human life has value. I thank all of you for your support, and I join you in looking forward to the day when every child is welcomed in life, and protected in law.”
Speech given for the 36th annual National Right to Life Committee Convention, July 3, 2008
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, PhDs, ThDs, JDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to abortion. Also top-level federal government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to abortion.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- 43rd President of the United States, 2001-2009
- 46th Governor of Texas, 1994-2000
- Co-owner, Texas Rangers baseball franchise, 1989-1998
- Member, Board of Directors, Harken Energy Corporation, 1986-1993
- Advisor and Speechwriter for the George H.W. Bush 1988 and 1992 presidential campaigns
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Spectrum 7 Energy Corp., 1984-1986
- Founder, Arbusto Energy, 1978
- F-102 fighter pilot, Texas Air National Guard, 1968-1973
- MBA, Harvard Business School, 1975
- BA, Yale University, 1968
- Born in New Haven, CT on July 6, 1946
- The George W. Bush Presidential Library is temporarily located in Lewisville, TX. The library is scheduled to reopen on the Southern Methodist University campus in Dallas, TX in 2013
- John Warner National Defense Authorization Act, 2007
- Unprivileged Combatant Act, 2006
- Detainee Treatment Act, 2005
- Unborn Victims of Violence Act, 2004
- Medicare Act, 2003
- Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act, 2003
- No Child Left Behind Act, 2002
- Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act (USA PATRIOT Act), 2001
- Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act (EGTRRA), 2001
Select legislation passed during the Bush Administration:
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should Abortion Be Legal?