- President of NARAL Pro-Choice America
- Pro to the question "Should Abortion Be Legal?"
“Nothing made me more pro-choice than being a parent. To force someone to be a parent against their will when we know how hard it is already for people who want to be parents is just wrong.
Before I had my abortion, I think like most Americans, I had presumed that should I ever face that decision, that service would be available to me — and it was. And like most Americans, I was grateful it was available to me — and then I moved on.
I didn’t become an activist around reproductive rights as a result of my own abortion, but because doing human rights work around the world showed me that when women have access to family planning and can have a seat at the table, we can have change — and for the better. Forcing women to have children against their will became synonymous to me with the idea of patriarchy, someone saying that I would always be lesser than.”
“NARAL Pro-Choice America President Ilyse Hogue Shares Her Abortion Story,” teenvogue.com, Jan. 17, 2017
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- President, NARAL (National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League) Pro-Choice America, Feb. 2013-present
- Columnist, The Nation, Jan. 2012-2014
- Co-Founder, Friends of Democracy PAC, Apr. 2012-Dec. 2013
- Co-Founder and Advisor, smartMeme Strategy and Training Project (now Center for Story-based Strategy), Apr. 2012-Dec. 2012
- Senior Fellow, Purpose, Mar. 2012-June 2012
- Senior Advisor, Media Matters for America, Feb. 2011-Jan. 2012
- Director of Political Advocacy and Communications, MoveOn.org, 2006-2011
- Program Director, Rainforest Action Network, Feb. 2000-May 2006
- MS, School of Natural Resources and Environment, University of Michigan
- BA, Vassar College, 1991
- Contact Info:
- 202-973-3000, NARAL Pro-Choice America
- None found
- NARAL Pro-Choice American profile
- Twitter: @ilyseh
- Spoke at the 2016 Democratic National Convention and shared her story of having an abortion in her early 20s
- Quoted in:
- Should Abortion Be Legal? – Pro & Con Quotes