- Founding pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seattle, WA
- Con to the question "Should Abortion Be Legal?"
“Since 1973, legal abortions in America have taken the lives of 55 million people. If 55 million Americans died tomorrow, whoever led the genocide would not get a parade in celebration, bumper stickers in support, or be a viable candidate for political office.
Fifty-five million lives equals 17.5% of the country’s current population. It’s a number greater than the population of any state in the Union, and greater than the population of 219 of the world’s country’s [sic] including South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Australia, Argentina, and Canada. Fifty-five million is about the same as the population of the 25 smallest states and Washington D.C. combined…
Both science and Scripture are absolutely clear that life begins at conception. Taking a human life is murder, by definition, which makes abortion a murderous act…
…Believe it or not, federal legislation forbids the murder of an unborn baby—except in the 55 million instances when it doesn’t. And a father can be convicted of murdering his unborn child without the mother’s consent, but if a woman decides to end her pregnancy against the wishes of the father, that’s her right to choose.
Choose murder? Can’t follow all of the logic? Perhaps that’s because it’s illogical…
Abortion is not a matter of politics. It’s a matter of life and death, for 55 million and counting. Enough.”
“What Do 55 Million People Have in Common?,” FoxNews.com, Oct. 18, 2013
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Founding pastor, Mars Hill Church (Seattle, WA), 1996-2014
- Founder, Resurgence ministry
- Cofounder, Acts 29 Network
- Cofounder, Churches Helping Churches (formed to raise funds and deliver medical supplies following Haiti’s 2010 earthquake)
- Has appeared on The View, CNN, Nightline, Fox and Friends, and Loveline
- Named one of the “25 Most Influential Pastors of the Past 25 Years” by Preaching magazine, 2010
- MA, Exegetical Theology, Western Seminary (Portland, OR)
- BA, Speech Communication, Edward R. Murrow School of Communication, Washington State University
- Married to Grace Driscoll
- Has three sons and two daughters
- “Driscoll, who has built a multi-state church that claims 14,000 members, has faced allegations of plagiarism, and has acknowledged hiring a consulting firm and using church resources to put his book, ‘Real Marriage,’ on The New York Times bestseller list.
In a March 15  internal letter, Driscoll promised to quit social media for the rest of the year and cut back on his travel, and pull back from claiming he is a New York Times bestselling author. ‘To be clear, these are decisions I have come to with our senior pastor Jesus Christ,’ he wrote.”
“A Senior, Respected Pastor Leaves Mars Hill Church on Short Notice,” http://blog.seattlepi.com, Apr. 30, 2014
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should Abortion Be Legal?