- US Senator (R-KY)
- Con to the question "Should Abortion Be Legal?"
“I am 100% pro-life. I believe life begins at conception and that abortion takes the life of an innocent human being. It is the duty of our government to protect this life as a right guaranteed under the Constitution. For this reason, I introduced S. 583, the Life at Conception Act on March 14, 2013. This bill would extend the Constitutional protection of life to the unborn from the time of conception.
It is unconscionable that government would facilitate the taking of innocent life. I have stated many times that I will always support legislation that would end abortion or lead us in the direction of ending abortion. There are many ways we can work toward this ultimate goal and items we can hope to accomplish in the near term. I strongly oppose any federal funding of abortion and will attempt to stop the flow of tax dollars to groups who perform or advocate for abortion…
I would strongly support legislation restricting federal courts from hearing cases like Roe v. Wade. Such legislation would only require a majority vote, making it more likely to pass than a pro-life constitutional amendment.”
“Sanctity of Life,” paul.senate.gov (accessed May. 16, 2014)
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, PhDs, ThDs, JDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to abortion. Also top-level federal government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to abortion.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- US Senator (R-KY), Jan. 2011-present
- Member, US Senate Foreign Relations, Health, Education, Labor and Pensions, Homeland Security and Government Affairs, and Small Business Committees
- Member, Senate Tea Party Caucus, 2011-present
- Practicing ophthalmologist, 1993-present
- Named one of TIME Magazine‘s “100 Most Influential People,” 2013
- Former participant, Children of the Americas program (performing free eye surgeries for poor children in developing countries)
- Founder, Southern Kentucky Lions Eye Clinic, 1995
- Founder, Kentucky Tax Payers United, 1994 (disbanded in 2000)
- MD, Duke University School of Medicine, 1988
- Attended Baylor University, 1981-1984
- Attended Brazoswood High School (Clute, TX)
- Contact Info:
- Married Kelley Ashby, 1991
- Has three sons: William, Duncan, and Robert
- Son of Ron Paul, former US Representative (R-TX) and Republican presidential candidate in 2008 and 2012
- First US Senator to serve concurrently with a parent in the US House of Representatives
- Born Randal Howard Paul in Pittsburgh, PA, Jan. 7, 1963
- Twitter handle: @SenRandPaul
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should Abortion Be Legal?